Sunday, July 27, 2014

My Story Behind Going Vegan

Here it goes....

I grew up eating healthy with my parents, but always seemed to have digestive issues. When my parents or I would cook a vegetarian meal, I seemed to feel my best. Not knowing why, I just kept on eating meat like everyone else; but was constantly feeling horrible.

 This last July 16, 2013, was when my life had to change. I was a spiraling health disaster. I went from eating a pretty normal American diet, to not being able to eat without getting sick to my stomach. I was hospitalized every two weeks starting July 16, 2013 all the way to February 9, 2014. I was hospitalized, and given test upon test with no real answers. All they seemed to find was kidney stones, gallstones, gallbladder disease, possible IBS, and many other conclusions. Then I finally received some answers on February 9, 2014. I was hospitalized for a week due to my Liver enzymes being Four times the normal range. They couldn't let me go until they were at least halfway down. They ran so many test that I was physically exhausted at the end. They found that I had Liver disease, and that my digestive system was not able to digest proteins correctly, and I could not process any type of medicine without it being through an IV. This means that I can not be around anyone sick, or it could end up killing me. After I found this out, the doctor sat me down for a long talk, and explained that my only way of living a decent life of feeling decent was to eat a completely Plant Based Diet [ Vegan ]. I was scared, and sad that I could never eat cheese, chicken, steak, Ice cream.... I went home after this worried and scared. I knew though that I had to change. I also knew that I had to change for my health as well.

Growing up I weighed in average through high school about 140 range. When I was hospitalized through this time frame I made my way up to 350 lbs. Scary huh.....  I knew that these problems could also be killing me due to have that much weight on my 5'2" frame. It was time for change!

I came home from the hospital, and started this diet right away. I will admit I cried with cravings for the greasiest, grossest meals ever. But I am so glad that I have stuck with it. It has now been Six Months since I was hospitalized and diagnosed, and I have been completely Vegan. I have lost a total so far of 130 lbs in just that time. I am obviously still very large, but I'd say for 6 months that is an improvement. I feel 60% better, which the doctors said would take at least a year for my body to start healing. I am excited to see if there will be changes to the disease that I have, and if I can turn back the damage to my body, But I know I will be Vegan forever. There is no way I am going back. I feel so much energy constantly, and just feel better all around. I want to share what I have gone through, and the recipes I have come up with on a very tight budget. I am an everyday person from Michigan trying to eat a healthy fresh Vegan diet. It can be done, and I want to share. I looked high and low for easy recipes without 40 ingredients, and it seems near impossible. So I started making them myself, and now I want to share my joy of cooking with others.

I will be coming out with a book of my Favorite 20 recipes that I cook nearly every week, and I will keep on trucking with more books if the response comes in. So if you are interested in a Vegan cookbook let me know, and comment below to give me feedback. Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment